Denim bean bags!

Construction, Homeware

I have been desperate to find a project that would use up my left over denim – it is surprising how much fabric I have saved over the years! I use a denim jacket but remove the sleeves, and I use the pockets of jeans for bumbags but have had no use for the rest of the garment!

So I did some research and thought that pouffes looked really good made out of denim because it comes in so many different shades and styles that they look very eclectic and unique!

I designing my own pattern based on what I had seen out on the market and got cutting…


Trouser legs and sleeves could all be manipulated to get amazing pattern pieces – even by stitching two arms together, you get this amazing seam which still has all it’s original colour!

I then set about choosing the pieces to lie next to each other and stitching it all together…


It took me a while to figure out if I should do a zip opening or not…because it would be good to have the option of washing it and topping up the beans as they get worn over time. Then came the quandary of how to fit it…but in the end I simply applied a reclaimed zip over the top of a seam…


Now it looks like part of the bean bag and not just something added on! To finish off the top and bottom of the bean bag I made these patches of triangles of denim cut into circles and hand stitched them over the joins…


I love their effect – they add more colours and different shapes to the bean bag!

I purchased some bag linings¬†from eBay and some Polystyrene beans to fill them with…


I may have bought too many…but I can always make more bean bags!

I fashioned a funnel out of a large piece of card, inserted it into the top of the lining and tucked the other tied end into the bean bag cover and started to fill it!


I love the finished effect…


These will be available on Etsy and I already have had some orders from family! Perfect as a gift or a little treat to your own home!



Wedding bouquet

Commission, Homeware

I really wanted to save my wedding bouquet to make a memento out of it after the wedding was over…I had no idea how I would go about this and merrily went off on honeymoon leaving my mum (bless her!) to figure it out for me – honestly, I had forgotten that I wanted to save it at this point!

She did some research and managed to purchase some silicon which she places around sections of the bouquet in a large tupperware container – left it for a week or so and they came out beautifully dehydrated but still with their original shape, texture and colour (mostly).

I was thrilled! She had managed to press a whole load more too – so I had a lot of material to play with! Now what to do with it…?

Since Christmas was fast approaching I suddenly had the idea to frame a small bouquet for my Granny’s present – you know the kind of oldy-worldy style of framed dried flowers? So I did some research about how others have designed their flowers and lay them out and got playing…


This was the arrangement I settled on and then went looking for a frame…which I probably should have done first! Although I managed to find an amazing one from Hobbycraft¬†that just happened to be on sale – perfect! 40cm x 40cm, nice and big so I didn’t have to start rearranging!

I bought some clear glue to stick it all down with but found it hard to work with as many of the flowers and grasses were stiff, but good old double sided tape to the rescue!


I included a sample of the lace fabric from my jacket, which avid readers will remember was my Granny’s wedding dress! Some confetti and the ribbon I had around my bouquet!

I love that all the different textures are still visible and am thrilled at the way it has turned out. Can’t wait to give it to her in a few weeks!


Handmade Christmas decorations

Commission, Construction, Homeware

A returning customer commissioned me to make some more Christmas decorations for her family this festive season. Last year it was out of her Grandfather’s cardigan and this year she had found some beautiful embroidered handkerchiefs which belonged to her Grandmother.

I started by ironing them and the cutting them into 10cm squares with a 1cm seam allowance – I overlocked the raw edges first to prevent fraying.


I then machined two squares together – including the ribbon to hang them by and leaving a 10cm gap so I could turn them the right way round…

They look so sweet! Now time to stuff them!


It was actually a quick process because all that was left was to hand stitch the opening…


I stitched the corner on this one because there was some beautiful stitching on the edge of the hankie which I wanted to preserve…


And here they are! I hope her family like them as much as the cardigan ones – I love doing such personal projects!