Chair for Amy

Homeware, Textile work

So…my first solo upholstery commission and I am very excited. It came from Alex’s family again, in the shape of a beautiful old chair covered in gorgeous, albeit faded, brocade with a pretty trim…

IMG_7891

It was a bit heartbreaking to rip it off, but very interesting seeing all the layers that built it up originally…

But now it is just the frame – looks edgy and arty…but not very comfy yet!

IMG_7904

So I started with a new webbing which was really fun to do – I end had a special tool to help me!

I then secured the springs in a similar position as they originally were…

Then I flipped the chair over and added more hessian on the underside to give it a really nice finish…

IMG_7932

Next came, yep you guessed it, more hessian over the top of the springs to squash them down and create our chair silhouette – I found this but really tricky as it was hard to know how much to squish them by…if I did them too much I would loose the shape of the chair, too little and the chair might be wobbly!

IMG_7936

Next step was to start building up the horsehair on the hessian…

And some wadding to soften the horsehair…

IMG_7984

And then my favourite bit, stretching the calico over all the layers and finally seeing the finished shape of the chair!

IMG_7985

The calico made it easy to smooth the final fabric over the top and adding the lovely trim picked out by Amy…

IMG_8010

And I am so so pleased with the finished item! Hope Amy loves it as much as I do!

IMG_8011IMG_8014IMG_8015

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s