Chair for Amy

Homeware, Textile work

So…my first solo upholstery commission and I am very excited. It came from Alex’s family again, in the shape of a beautiful old chair covered in gorgeous, albeit faded, brocade with a pretty trim…

IMG_7891

It was a bit heartbreaking to rip it off, but very interesting seeing all the layers that built it up originally…

But now it is just the frame – looks edgy and arty…but not very comfy yet!

IMG_7904

So I started with a new webbing which was really fun to do – I end had a special tool to help me!

I then secured the springs in a similar position as they originally were…

Then I flipped the chair over and added more hessian on the underside to give it a really nice finish…

IMG_7932

Next came, yep you guessed it, more hessian over the top of the springs to squash them down and create our chair silhouette – I found this but really tricky as it was hard to know how much to squish them by…if I did them too much I would loose the shape of the chair, too little and the chair might be wobbly!

IMG_7936

Next step was to start building up the horsehair on the hessian…

And some wadding to soften the horsehair…

IMG_7984

And then my favourite bit, stretching the calico over all the layers and finally seeing the finished shape of the chair!

IMG_7985

The calico made it easy to smooth the final fabric over the top and adding the lovely trim picked out by Amy…

IMG_8010

And I am so so pleased with the finished item! Hope Amy loves it as much as I do!

IMG_8011IMG_8014IMG_8015

Signs for the Birdcage

Construction, Festivals, Homeware

So after making my new signs for oo arh! my stepdad approached me with a commission! He and my mum have a lovely restaurant in Malmesbury call ‘The Birdcage’ (I know, shamelessly promoting my family’s business – I should get commissions for how often I talk about them and their fantastic pizzas!) and he wanted some lavatory signs for it! Very exciting – so I obviously said yes…excuse to get the power tools out again!

I still have some of the reclaimed wood left over from the oo arh! signs, so I decided to cut them to size (5″x 16″) and then repeated the same process as before – it worked a treat then so I have faith that it wouldn’t fail me this time! Also Stewart stated he wanted them exactly like the originals – so I got all the materials and tools out…and got cracking! 

Boards cut to size…


First coat of Creocote..


And the next…


Now the Vaseline…


And the spray paint…


I then wiped the Vaselined edges and sanded the spray paint down to get a lovely distressed effect and started painting my lettering…


And here are the signs in situ…
I’m very proud of how they turned out and how well they fit in with the restaurant!